Yesterday the world lost Nelson Mandela — an absolutely inspiring role model who lived by his values and strived to bring justice, peace, and positivity to everyone he touched and served. I’ve always loved collecting quotes and Nelson’s wisdom is so evident through his words. Today I wanted to share ten of my favorite Mandela quotes, as well as a freebie that you can sport on your desktop. Clicking the image above will also take you to a larger version (2880×1800) that you can use as a computer wallpaper.* If you need another size, just let me know in the comments! :)
- “I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.”
- “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”
- “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”
- “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
- “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
- “A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.”
- “There is no passion to be found playing small — in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”
- “I came to accept that I have no right whatsoever to judge others in terms of my own customs.”
- “It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.”
What’s your favorite Mandela quote?
*Personal use only.
Today I have two knock-your-socks-off sponsors who write very different, yet equally captivating posts about life. Check ‘em out below!
Kym of Travel Babbles
Travel Babbles is best described as a place of raw inspiration and honesty, where you’ll leave feeling a little more whole, happy, and understood. Whether you’re looking to relate to Kym’s heart-breaking stories about loss or your just want some motivation to be a little kinder, this girl has got you covered and then some. Her boy is a hockey player, so she definitely has some unique insights to share (have I ever told you all that my brother plays hockey, too?!). Plus, she’s kind of a killer chef and I think her recipes will make your mouth water. But my favorite corner of Kym’s site has to be her inspiration section. This girl is wise beyond her years and I have a feeling you’ll love her honest posts and warm heart. :) Now go share some love!
Kelly of Rheel Daze
In a word, Kelly of Rheel Daze is hilarious. She says all of the things that you might be thinking, but that few people say out loud. And of course, she says them in a way that will make you spit your coffee out and snort-laugh at the same time. Don’t believe me? Check out this post about how she’s “trying to like yoga” or this one, where she gives “10 reasons why she knows she’s getting older” (p.s. I can totally relate to that one!). I also loved this post about things she’d do differently if she were younger because her honesty and humbleness are so darn refreshing. Want to get to know her better (yeah you do)? I recommend starting here! Go say hi, ok? :)